Tooltip visibility

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
DSP_Programmer
CodeLite Veteran

Tooltip visibility

Post by DSP_Programmer »

Hello Eran,

(Vista, CL. rev. 3899)

The tooltips are shown always at the same place, even if the tooltip window will not fit into the CL-Editor window. Thus, sometimes I see only the first part of a tooltip (e.g. define tooltip). Is there any way to to check the extension to the right for tooltips and if the tooltip does not fit, put it to a different place?

A second issue regarding tooltips. They seem to be sticky (see attachement) this means if I change to a different program when a tooltip is shown in CL, the tooltip will be shown on top of all programs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Tooltip visibility

Post by eranif »

Hi,

When debugging, the 'Display Variable' dialog is always shown under the cursor - it is not placed at the same location (I have tested this behvior under Linux / Mac and Windows XP - dont have Vista)

The tooltip has the style 'wxSTAY_ON_TOP' this to avoid cases on Linux where the dialog is 'hidden' - I dont see it as a big issue - just move the mouse to inside the tip and then move it outside, it will be hidden or simply select the tip and hit ESCAPE

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
DSP_Programmer
CodeLite Veteran

Post by DSP_Programmer »

eranif wrote:
When debugging, the 'Display Variable' dialog is always shown under the cursor - it is not placed at the same location (I have tested this behvior under Linux / Mac and Windows XP - dont have Vista)
Ok, I was not precise here.
1.) I refer to the define tooltip (or any other tooltip when editing, not debugging)
2.) It is placed under the cursor, yes, but even if there is no space left to the right. And then I can't see what is in the tooltip. Do you see my problem?
eranif wrote:
The tooltip has the style 'wxSTAY_ON_TOP' this to avoid cases on Linux where the dialog is 'hidden' - I dont see it as a big issue - just move the mouse to inside the tip and then move it outside, it will be hidden or simply select the tip and hit ESCAPE
OK, it is no big deal. I thought there would be a smarter way. For the define tooltips I think you have implemented some action to close the tooltip if you press any key (this would be ok for me).
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

DSP_Programmer wrote:2.) It is placed under the cursor, yes, but even if there is no space left to the right. And then I can't see what is in the tooltip. Do you see my problem?
I understand you. However (here comes the 'but'), codelite is zero control over this tooltip (meaning: I cant even measure its size to see if it can fit) - it is fired and managed entirely by wxScintilla - I may consider replacing this tooltip to something else (maybe something similar to the 'code completion box')
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread