A few questions

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
MrDixioner
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

A few questions

Post by MrDixioner »

1. How to change the color of the block collapse line (red)? Why is there no such setting?
  2. If I create a "File System Workspace" (which copies the structure of the file system) and then create a project in that workspace, it creates a virtual structure. Then what is the point of this workspace? If you create a file system workspace, then you need to make sure that the project is created on the basis of the file system, and not the virtual one.
  3. I would like to see examples of creating a file system workspace for the C language, because nothing is clear from the setup guide for this workspace.

Linux Mint 21.1, CodeLite 16.7.0

eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: A few questions

Post by eranif »

Some clarifications:

• The "File System Workspace" - does not copy anything, it provides a visual representation to the directory structure you chosed
  • The purpose of the workspace file is to keep settings that can not be kept elsewhere. For example: build instructions, debugger to use for this workspace, which executable to execute and where to find it and more. the workspace file is intended to be kept in the source control so you can use it on other machines

The main difference between the default C++ workspace and the file system workspace is that you are suppose to create everything by yourself (e.g. Makefile)
While with the default C++ workspace, CodeLite will generate everything for you (Makefiles and default settings like: where to place the executable etc)

My rule of thumb:
if you want to use some git repo that uses CMake or any other external Makefile system - use the File System Workspace
If you want to start a project from scratch - use the default C++ workspace
if you want to have a workspace in any other language than C++, use file system workspace

Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread