Using Codelte with Ububtu 16.04

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Using Codelte with Ububtu 16.04

Post by coder99 »

After I managed to get CL compiled from the latest Github code (shows as 12.0.1) under Ubuntu 16.04, I also managed to get one of my projects to compile and run using my local copy of statically linked wxWidgets 3.1.0 libraries.

Being new to Ubuntu - though I have run it and Mint in the recent past off and on - mostly off, though, my questions really are more about how CL is intended to be run and with what permissions.

Currently I run it with sudo codelite, where the main user is really an alias for root. Is this a good, common or even expected way?
And if not, what are the recommendations/alternatives?
As I am having some issues with the release code not even getting off the ground, while the debug version runs, I am wondering if I have permission problems before chasing the problems further and checking out how to analyze code dumps. ;-)
TIA

Win 10/11 64-bit, MSVC 2019/2022, wxWidgets 3.2.1, CodeLite 17.0 Mint 21.2

DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Using Codelte with Ububtu 16.04

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
Currently I run it with sudo codelite
Why? Like most Linux programs, CodeLite is almost always run by a normal user (in my case, 'david') with that user's permissions. There are always corner cases, but that's the thing to do by default.
As I am having some issues with the release code not even getting off the ground, while the debug version runs, I am wondering if I have permission problems before chasing the problems further and checking out how to analyze code dumps
Well, try running as you. But 'works in debug not in release' doesn't sound like a permissions issue.

Regards,

David
coder99
CodeLite Expert

Re: Using Codelte with Ububtu 16.04

Post by coder99 »

Thank you, David.
When I first started, it seemed the only way I was going anywhere with CL was with sudo.
In the meanwhile, the issues with permissions for the INI files etc got to me and I figured it ought to be possible, even desirable to run as myself and for the last few hours I have tried just that.
Since I had a hard time over the past few days with my Linux box bunged up because of a bad video driver update etc, - not at all related to the CL issue - and a bunch of nit-picky differences between the working version of the Windows compiler versus the gcc compiler on the Linux side, I wanted to be sure I was on the right track before going too far down the rabbit hole.

As it is, right now, running CL and the app with sudo, gets me a lot further down the road, than when I am running CL and my app as plain old me. It is multi-threading and all of it works quite well under Windows, but trying to port it all to Ubuntu has been 'an experience' ;-)
Between the OS, the IDE, the compiler and all of the other 'differences' is has been a battle - but if CL can be made to work under Linux, it must be possible to get my stuff to settle down and work. ;-)

Win 10/11 64-bit, MSVC 2019/2022, wxWidgets 3.2.1, CodeLite 17.0 Mint 21.2