BigAl
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

First Time with Hello World but blank Output

Post by BigAl »

[CentOS7]
Some lessons learned for first timers on platforms like mine:

1) During the setup wizard, you're prompted for a choice of "Makefile Generator". Don't choose "GNU Makefile onestep build". I don't know what that is but it generates a non-working Makefile. Leave it as "Default".

2) I set a breakpoint where it prints "Hello World" to stdout but nothing appeared in the black "Output" dialog, in the lower left window. I added additional print statements and ensure they were null terminated and called fflush, etc., but still nothing ever appeared in the "Output" dialog. It turns that that this "Output" window is not intended to display text sent from the debugged app to the stdout out (or even stderr). It is intended to display only internal logging from codelite's code.
The text from my app appears in a detached window BEHIND the IDE. You have to start the debug session, then move the IDE to the side to reveal it (must be repeated, every time you run the debugger).
DavidGH
CodeLite Plugin

Re: First Time with Hello World but blank Output

Post by DavidGH »

Hi,
Don't choose "GNU Makefile onestep build". I don't know what that is but it generates a non-working Makefile. Leave it as "Default".
'Default' is the best starting point for most things ;) .
The text from my app appears in a detached window BEHIND the IDE.
CodeLite doesn't try to do that, and it doesn't happen for me (debian). I suspect it's due to your Window Manager settings.

Regards,

David
rando
CodeLite Curious
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: First Time with Hello World but blank Output

Post by rando »

Windows 10, CodeLite 12.0.8

I can confirm that choosing "GNU makefile one step build" produced a nonworking makefile. I changed the makefile generator to "Default" and all works as expected.

Not sure how to submit bugs on here yet, I'll look into a submission when I get some time.