alt-key select copy/paste issue

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

alt-key select copy/paste issue

Post by caibbor »

I've almost completely replaced CodeBlocks with CodeLite. I'm probably here to stay, but there are still a few little things that bug me. One of them is the Alt-key copying/pasting. I'm not sure what to call it, but it's just when you hold the Alt key when selecting text so that it copies a rectangular selection of text. The problem is with pasting once I've copied it to the clipboard. Here's an example to illustrate:

if I have this text:

Code: Select all

xBBBBx
xBBBBx
xBBBBx
and I hold ALT to select all of the Bs, the clipboard is filled with this data:

BBBB
BBBB
BBBB
Here's the text I'm going to paste it into:

UVW
XY
Z
when I put the caret after W and paste, this is the result I expect (and this is how CodeBlocks behaves):

UVWBBBB
XY BBBB
Z  BBBB
and this is the actual result:

UVWBBBB
BBBB
BBBB
XY
Z
which, if I didn't hold ALT to select the copied text, would be correct. But I did, and CL doesn't take that into account.

If this is not something you'd like to change, perhaps it can be made into a feature that you can enable. I'm not sure whether to make this a bug report/feature request.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: alt-key select copy/paste issue

Post by eranif »

This is in fact a problem with wxWidgets and with codelite.
The current version of wxWidgets (3.0) has an older version of Scintilla, with a more recent version of wx (e.g. 3.1) this works as described
So this will get fixed once we will update to a more recent version of wxWidgets
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
caibbor
CodeLite Veteran
IDE Question: c++

Post by caibbor »

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about wxWidgets and Scintilla, but the latest versions of CodeBlocks uses an older wxWidgets (2.6.3) than CodeLite and it works there. *shrug*

I'm going to take this to mean it was a regression in Scintilla.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

caibbor wrote: but the latest versions of CodeBlocks uses an older wxWidgets (2.6.3) than CodeLite and it works there
codeblocks is using wx2.8, however, they maintain their own wrapper of Scintilla (wxScintilla),
while CodeLite is using the official wxStyledTextCtrl (which is maintained by the wxWidgets team) - these are different controls
caibbor wrote:I'm going to take this to mean it was a regression in Scintilla.
No. Its not a regression, its what I said it is: codeblocks's scintilla is simply newer than codelite's one

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread