Modifying CodeLite for Flex SDK

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
aaulia
CodeLite Enthusiast

Modifying CodeLite for Flex SDK

Post by aaulia »

Hi eranif
I've been using linux for a while and got hooked to Flex (ActionScript) development, since there is no good (as in complete) IDE for Linux (I'm using Gedit now) unlike Windows with FlashDevelop. I just wondering how hard it will be to modify CodeLite to support ActionScript ? I'm not suggesting that this should go to the main branch, I just needed it for personal use. So basicly I just want to ask you how much effort to do it ?

- Can i just modify the makefile setting, project setting or workspace setting to accomodate building AS script ? since the flow is rather different from the usual compile->link->executable, more like compile->executable(swf). Btw I'm using Ant
- I have a modified ctags (adding AS regex so it know how to parse it), now IIRC CodeLite also uses ctags right ? is it internal ctags or CodeLite uses ctags available at the system it currently in ?

Well basicly, the big question is can I do it without hacking the code (from settings, etc) or should I, or should I build some plugins instead ?

Thanks eranif.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Modifying CodeLite for Flex SDK

Post by eranif »

aaulia wrote: Can i just modify the makefile setting, project setting or workspace setting to accomodate building AS script ? since the flow is rather different from the usual compile->link->executable, more like compile->executable(swf). Btw I'm using Ant
If you are using ant then you just need to mark the project as 'custom makefile' and set the targets to run ant (if you need more specific help, search the forum or read this: http://codelite.org/LiteEditor/CustomMakefiles)

You can also use CodeLite internal makefile generator to use this ( you can disable linker by selecting 'project settings -> linker -> and tick 'linker is not required')
But I would go the 'custom build' path.
aaulia wrote:- I have a modified ctags (adding AS regex so it know how to parse it), now IIRC CodeLite also uses ctags right ? is it internal ctags or CodeLite uses ctags available at the system it currently in ?
CodeLite uses its own ctags, since the available ctags is not good enough (my version of ctags contains number of patches for better support C++)

I would write down a plugin for Flex instead of modifying CL internals. Also, by writing a plugin you get to work with the "cleaner" interface and you dont need to get familiar with CL internals.

Intergrating an external tool is quite simple: have a look at cscope plugin. To see how to add CodeCompletion box: look at abbreviation plugin.
Another advantage of using plugin: User can choose to deactivate your plugin (if you are willing contribute the source code, It may find itself into CL distribution as well).

if you choose to write down plugin, I am often hanging at #codelite at irc.freenode.net (my user is always online, but I may be AFK (bathing my children, spending time with my wife etc... ;) )

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
aaulia
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by aaulia »

Thanks eranif, damn you are fast with reply, I'll see what I can do (I also looking into some plugin code for Gedit, unfortunately I never done GTK programming or python :p ).
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

FYI: To write a plugin to codelite, you simply use the toolbar button (plugins -> Gizmos -> New CodeLite plugin...) fill up the simple steps click OK and you have a new plugin (which does nothing but still a plugin :D)

I will probably will compile a tutorial in the following days - so stay tuned
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
aaulia
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by aaulia »

thanks, always wonder about that gizmo plugin :D