basedir option

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
pavel.iqx
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: c++

basedir option

Post by pavel.iqx »

I'm trying to run CodeLite (5.1 and 5.3-git HEAD) with -b option. It creates that basedir and its content, but suddenly exits with code 255 (echo $?). No window shows up, nothing is written to console.
What's wrong, what should I do?
Debian GNU/Linux 7.3 (wheezy) x64; CodeLite 5.4 from repo & CodeLite self-compiled from git HEAD
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Re: basedir option

Post by eranif »

pavel.iqx wrote:I'm trying to run CodeLite (5.1 and 5.3-git HEAD) with -b option
This options tells codelite to use a different base dir (i.e. instead of reading some of its properties from the default folder which is the location where codelite was installed)
it will read them from the -b value. Note that the content of the folder must be populated with the relevant configuration files.

This option was mainly added to allow Windows developers to test codelite from another "Runtime" directory

It was never intended to be used on Linux - I will add proper warring to the usage message
If you want to debug / run codelite from another directory under Linux, you should compile codelite with -DPREFIX attribute (this is how I debug codelite)

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /home/eran/root
cd /home/eran/devl/codelitegit/build-debug
cmake .. -DPREFIX=/home/eran/root -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug
make install 
// at this point codelite is installed under /home/eran/root
Now, launching codelite like this:

/home/eran/root/bin/codelite
Will load all its settings from:

/home/eran/root/share/codelite
Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
pavel.iqx
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by pavel.iqx »

That's what i intend to do, but...

I have to disclaim one thing i wrote yesterday. When i set -b option no ".codelite" (neither ~/.codelite) setting folder is created. (I don't know how one was created formerly)
I briefly looked into code and got the impression what -b changes settings folder, now I know I was wrong :(

I compile with -DPREFIX (and also type=Debug), instalation is ok. The problem is, when in run (with no options) compiled CL from DPREFIX, it creates and uses settings folder ~/.codelite. I try overwrite this behaivior with -b option. ~/.codelite is also used by CL 5.1 and it makes collision.

You don't have this problem?
Debian GNU/Linux 7.3 (wheezy) x64; CodeLite 5.4 from repo & CodeLite self-compiled from git HEAD
eranif
CodeLite Plugin
IDE Question: C++

Post by eranif »

pavel.iqx wrote:it creates and uses settings folder ~/.codelite. I try overwrite this behaivior with -b option. ~/.codelite is also used by CL 5.1 and it makes collision
There is no way to change this. the local settings folder is always set to ~/.codelite regardless of where codelite was installed

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
pavel.iqx
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by pavel.iqx »

Thank you for explanation, but I still need solution for this. After CL 5.3 updates setting to ~/.codelite, CL 5.1 crashes at startup. So I can't code in 5.1 and test 5.3.
I'am using 5.1 because of http://forums.codelite.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2259
With working new standalone wxCrafter I can surely abandon CL 5.1. Probably I may use wxFormBuilder, but I think it's better if CL plugin is made by wxCrafter.
As you can see the problems stem from elsewhere. I just try my best.