How to use CodeLite to build mixed C/C++ libraries

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
brian
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

How to use CodeLite to build mixed C/C++ libraries

Post by brian »

I would like to use CodeLite to configure the building of a set of static libraries on Linux. Some of the libraries in the set are based on C code and some are based upon C++ code. The library is to be used by C++ projects.

What I specifically want to avoid is using the command line and makefiles of Linux. That is complicated and requires a good understanding of the use of the gcc/g++ tools and the syntax of the command line. I am hoping for a Visual Studio like approach where I can create and build these projects knowing nothing about the details of cl (or whatever the Microsoft tool is called).

I have no problem with the C++ projects. However, I can't figure out how to configure CodeLite to build the C libraries such that C++ libraries and C++ code can use them. All the C projects already have the standard #ifdef __cplusplus extern C thing in them. I have no problem building the projects as C. The problem begins when I try and tell CodeLite to build them as C++. There were some options that looked correct but selecting them did not work; typically the projects would not build. I must be missing some obvious option. The same code has no problem on Windows (building as C or C++).

Is there a way to do this entirely within the interface of CodeLite? (I sure hope so!!!)
brian
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: How to use CodeLite to build mixed C/C++ libraries

Post by brian »

My problem was having a wrong setting in teh compiler usage. The g++ has g++ also as a C compiler. With that fixed, behavior was much more as anticipated.