Bug: setting breakpoints in DLLs/Shared Objects

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
kspes
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Re: Bug: setting breakpoints in DLLs/Shared Objects

Post by kspes »

verifed as implemented in version 2.5.x, thanks a lot Eran!

Hint: option added into debugger settings
dlh
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by dlh »

still a problem on windows xp sp2, v 2.5.2.4031

Breakpoints are failing to set in a .dll sourcefile, even after I have successfully stepped into that sourcefile (<fullpathto>/utilexc.cpp) and codelite is displaying it. Similar to one of OP's reports, I'm getting the message indicating failure to find the source file that codelite has me positioned in.
DEBUG>>00001213-break-insert "\"C:/dev/wxwidgets/wxWidgets-2.8.10/src/msw/utilsexc.cpp:284\""
DEBUG>>00001213^error,msg="No source file named C:/dev/wxwidgets/wxWidgets-2.8.10/src/msw/utilsexc.cpp."
Breakpoint creation unsuccessful
ERROR: failed to place breakpoint: "^error,msg="No source file named C:/dev/wxwidgets/wxWidgets-2.8.10/src/msw/utilsexc.cpp.""
No source file named C:/dev/wxwidgets/wxWidgets-2.8.10/src/msw/utilsexc.cpp.
(I'm trying to figure out a problem I'm having with wxExecute/wxProcess and have a locally built version of wxwidgets I'm working with. FWIW, the build is BUILD=debug MONOLITHIC=1 UNICODE=0 shared=1)

Suggestions?

(p.s. other problem, appears that 'break at main' is ignored if one of the 'pending', or perhaps its 'wait til main to set up bps' options is selected, I haven't tried to isolate specific cause of that failure.)
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

dlh wrote:(p.s. other problem, appears that 'break at main' is ignored if one of the 'pending', or perhaps its 'wait til main to set up bps' options is selected, I haven't tried to isolate specific cause of that failure.)
to set breakpoints after application started, codelite inserts a temporary breakpoint into main, and once hit it will apply all breakpoints and then issues a continue.
This is probably the symptom you see

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
dlh
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by dlh »

Hmm, I found the 'Use file name only for breakpoints (NO full paths)' option and enabled it, and now it appears the breakpoints can be set.

What''s history of that option ????
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

by default codelite sets breakpoints with full paths (since the Makefile produced by codelite are using full paths) - however, if you are using some custom makefile the paths of the files kept in the debugging symbols *may* not be a full path and gdb might fail in finding the file. However, I came to realize that gdb may succeed in finding the file if we set it without any path at all, just the file name - this is why this option exists

Eran
Morkel
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by Morkel »

Hi,

I'm also experiencing problems with debugging a DLL.
"Apply breakpoints after main function is hit" seems to do the trick. The downside is: I have to set the breakpoint
over and over again. CL seems to "forget" the breakpoint after the debugging session has ended.

Regards,
Fredo
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

Morkel wrote:Hi,

I'm also experiencing problems with debugging a DLL.
"Apply breakpoints after main function is hit" seems to do the trick. The downside is: I have to set the breakpoint
over and over again. CL seems to "forget" the breakpoint after the debugging session has ended.

Regards,
Fredo
Strange, this seems to be working fine here

can you provide more details? OS/codelite version/maybe a reproduction workspace

Eran