Background parsing

General questions regarding the usage of CodeLite
fueler
CodeLite Enthusiast
Genuine User: Yes
IDE Question: C++

Background parsing

Post by fueler »

I am trying to use CodeLite with an existing project that a massive code base, number of files and lines of code. I found that parsing was quite slow. I tried a number of IDEs, all choked. KDevelop did not and one of the benefits was that it did background parsing for autocomplete and referencing. Any thoughts on roadmap with this? CodeLite is my favorite editor.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Re: Background parsing

Post by eranif »

CodeLIte's parsing is done in the background, the question is how "strong" is your box?

Can you share your code base (i.e. is it open source?)
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
fueler
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by fueler »

The project is using a custom build system that puts the build objects in a sibling directory. It also when building it will copy header and library files so that when including the top most directory codelite is including those as well. The code file total is well over 20k. To parse and pull that in took a long time. I'm working with the build system team to make it easier.
fueler
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by fueler »

Also, the machine I am on is a 8 core with plenty of ram.
eranif
CodeLite Plugin

Post by eranif »

I wonder if the fact that you copy the header files (i.e. update their timestamp) affects the parsing decision...
CodeLite will re-parse any modified header and if the headers are re-taken from that folder... than after each build the entire files will get re-parsed

Eran
Make sure you have read the HOW TO POST thread
fueler
CodeLite Enthusiast

Post by fueler »

Some more data points.

Same codebase on Mac OSX, project loads very quickly. However, c++ parsing afterwards did not complete, stops around 20%. I tried to restart it a number of times.
Same codebase on Linux, project loads slowly but c++ parsing seems faster (more cores and memory than OSX laptop). Parsing completes.

Also, using X2Go on linux box to my OSX laptop for remote GUI. The GUI is a sluggish when scrolling. Is there a way to turn off animations so less changes; I've seen this on other editors.